Building a positive self-image is an integral part of the recovery process for everyone. A substance use disorder can take a toll on your sense of worth and self-image, leaving you feeling like a shell of your former self. In women’s rehab programs, the importance of positive self-image is magnified.
Women already face unique challenges when it comes to addiction recovery, and having an unhealthy self-image can make the journey even more difficult. Fortunately, there are many ways that women in rehab programs can take steps to develop a positive self-image. At Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers, we understand the importance of positive self-image in women’s rehab programs and are here to help you on your journey to lasting, sustainable recovery. Reach out to our team today at 888.541.4028 to learn more about our women’s rehab program.
Why Self-Image in Rehab Matters
Self-image affects every aspect of your life. It influences your relationships, your job performance, your physical health, and even your mental health. In rehab programs for women, it’s especially important to have a positive self-image because it encourages healing and growth while preventing relapse. Women who have strong self-images are more likely to stay sober longer than those with low self-esteem. A positive self-image also helps people to take control of their lives and make better decisions.
How Women Can Develop Positive Self-Image in Rehab
Several different therapies can help women build a positive sense of self. Some of these include:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
All of these therapies can help women identify their triggers for using drugs or alcohol and develop coping skills to prevent relapse while building healthier relationships with themselves and others around them.
Ways to Boost Your Self-Esteem
There are many practical and actionable steps women in rehab can take to boost their self-esteem. Some of them include:
- Identify your strengths – Take time each day to write down five things that you like about yourself or that you believe are your best qualities. This can be anything from “I am good at problem-solving” or “I am kind” all the way up to “I am beautiful” or “I am intelligent.” This will help you recognize your own worth.
- Set achievable goals – Setting goals helps give you a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Start small but make sure they are measurable. This way, you can track your progress over time as well as give yourself tangible evidence that yes, indeed, you can accomplish whatever it is that you set out to do.
- Challenge negative thoughts – Everyone has negative thoughts from time to time, but in recovery, it’s important to be aware of them and challenge them when they come up. When you have a negative thought about yourself, take a step back, acknowledge it, and then replace it with a more positive and realistic thought.
- Surround yourself with supportive people – Find people who genuinely care about your well-being as well as support your goals.
As you practice these techniques and work on building a positive self-image, you will find your journey to recovery can be more rewarding.
Reach Out to Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers for Women’s Rehab
Positive self-image plays an important role in every woman’s journey toward recovery from addiction. At Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers, our team of experienced and compassionate professionals is here to support you every step of the way. We offer outpatient treatment in our center just outside of Providence with a variety of therapies to help you build positive self-esteem.