For those with a primary substance use disorder (SUD) diagnosis, depression can be both a cause and effect of addiction. Characterized by feelings of sadness, helplessness, and loss of interest in activities that were once enjoyed, depression can impact both your physical and emotional health. And when left untreated, depression can complicate addiction recovery. Finding the support of an addiction treatment center that also specializes in depression treatment can be the key to successful recovery.
At Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers, we understand the complexities of both addiction and depression and have developed a depression treatment program specifically tailored to meet the needs of those struggling with both disorders. As part of our mental health treatment programs, this approach can help you reach a place of sustainable sobriety.
Ready to learn more? Contact us at 888.541.4028 today to get started.
Understanding Depression and Addiction
Depression is a mental health condition that is characterized by feelings of emptiness, hopelessness, sadness, fatigue, and other symptoms. It can be caused by genetics, environmental factors, or a combination of both. Depression can co-occur with addiction, and in some cases, depression can be one of the underlying causes of addiction.
Those struggling with depression may turn to drugs and alcohol as a form of self-medication. This can lead to the development of an addiction and ultimately make it more difficult to recover from depression.
Common Symptoms of Depression
If you suspect that depression may be a factor in your addiction, it’s important to look out for the common symptoms of depression. These can include:
- Persistent feelings of sadness or emptiness
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much
- Changes in appetite
- Lack of motivation
- Difficulty concentrating
- Thoughts about death or suicide
- Low energy levels
- Physical aches and pains
These symptoms can have a major impact on your quality of life and it’s important to get help as soon as possible.
How Our Depression Treatment Program Can Help
As you work to overcome addiction, our depression treatment program at Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers can provide the support you need to make lasting changes. In this program, clients participate in a wide range of both individual and group therapies. All of the therapies we include in treatment plans are evidence-based and research-backed, meaning they have proven to be effective in treating depression.
While in treatment, you’ll learn healthy coping skills and strategies to help you manage depression and its symptoms. This, in turn, can make it easier to stay sober. Some of the topics we cover include:
- Identifying and managing triggers – Certain life events or situations can lead to depression and relapse. We’ll help you identify potential triggers and teach you how to manage them in healthy ways.
- Developing healthy coping skills – We’ll help you develop healthier coping skills that can help you manage feelings of depression and other negative emotions.
- Exploring underlying issues – By exploring the root causes of depression, we can help you develop effective strategies for dealing with them.
- Building a network of support – We’ll help you find and connect with a network of supportive peers and professionals who can provide the encouragement you need to maintain sobriety.
Every step of the way, we’ll provide you with the guidance and support necessary for sustained recovery.
Discover Effective Depression Treatment at Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers
Don’t hold yourself back from a life of recovery. At Rhode Island Addiction Treatment Centers, our depression treatment program provides the evidence-based treatments and therapies you need to break free from depression and addiction.